1. Another word for "subculture" that doesn't sound quite so scientific, allowing it to be used in daily conversation. Used this way it usually has an adjective modifying it: the "indy scene" or the "hardcore scene" or the "emo scene." When someone refers to a particular "scene," they're talking about everything - the people, the places, the fashion, the music, and the trends.
2. A tongue-in-cheek reference to the trends and fashions of the various scenes. Many of these subcultures were built around countercultural ideals and nonconformist attitudes; the fact that trends even exist is humorous irony, and using "scene" as an adjective originally intended to lampoon that.
3. A trend of sorts that evolved from the indy, emo, and hardcore scenes (see the first definition); basically, anything that can be sold at Hot Topic. As events like Warped Tour - and artists like Avril Lavigne - became popular, the trends and fashions of these three scenes (and a few others) were gradually amalgamized and commericalized to create the generic "scene" monkier. Someone who is "scene" generally borrows from the various subcultures and combines them together - you can tell they're part of *a* scene, but no one is quite sure *what* scene. It is important to note that this use of "scene" refers to a fashion trend - it isn't a subculture in its own right, because it has no music, venues, or attitudes of its own to live on after it loses popularity.
4. An ironic insult toward followers of the "scene" trend outlined in 3. Calling someone "scene" brings up images of Avril Lavigne, Hot Topic, Good Charlotte, and, more recently, Myspace; it implies that he or she is a fair-weather fan, conforming to be popular or to fit in. In that sense, it is related to the term poseur. It also implies being more worried about the more visible icons of a particular scene (the fashion and language, for example) than the music that the scene is founded on. Calling someone a scenester basically means the same thing.
2. Wow... a Thundercats shirt, crotch-hugging faded jeans, and a devilock... how very scene of you. Not to mention your ratty Converse shoes or your Know Your Mushrooms armband.
3. Be more scene. Shop at Hot Topic.
4. Enjoy being scene while it lasts, because Myspace isn't enough to keep it going once the next fad hits.
In other words, scene is basically someone cutting their wrists and dieing their hair to look like a skunks back(not to mention, they smell like shit too because they believe greasy hair and not taking showers for centuries will help them fit into the "scene"). If you see a scenester, I highly suggest that you kick them as hard as you can.
CuTyourWRISTE2Bkewl: LIKE OMG!!! i missed that scene it wuz prably HAUT!!
xXxEmOxXxhXcxXxfaggotxXx: Oh IT WuZ SeX-C!!!! WhY Did YoU BaIl?
CuTyourWRISTE2Bkewl: My CaM WoUlDnT UpLoAd My NeW MySpAcE PicS FaSt EnOuGh So I hAd To WaIt! :( I M GonNA Go CuT nOw K ThX BAI!
xXxEmOxXxhXcxXxfaggotxXx: Me2 C YaH SeX-C!
so scene girls........god, where to start? I guess hair, because hair is probably the most identifiable part of a good scene kid, as long as they have scene hair. a lot of younger scene kids prefer to skip the hair, or atleast downgrade it, because a lot of schools see it as a dress code violation, or their parents might not let them. but I'm getting off the point. scene hair follows a few basic principles:
1} the cut. scene hair is usually choppy, sometimes even mullet-esque, but that's not always fashion-friendly. basically there are two main scene cuts: longish and shortish. short hair is usually a little longer than chin length in the front, with bangs that run straight across, usually just below the brow. the front pieces are typically longest, and angled upward to the back. on the back of their head it's usually cut in super-choppy layers that they use to gel in different directions. the longish cut usually has heavy side bangs, and a choppy cut all around. there's really no part that's particularly longer than the other parts. it's just all messy. sometimes they'll have grown out the very bottom layer, or put in super-long extentions on the bottom. hair is always straightened. no ifs ands or buts. always.
2} the colour. there are three main colours that are good for scene hair: black, red, or my personal favourite, white blond. usually black hair will be streaked with white blond, neon, or red, blond with black, neon, or red, and red with black, white blond, or neon.
3} the stylist. typically, scene hair is either styled by friends, the scene kid themself, or a stylist that's basically one of their friends. usually, however, it's one of the first two, as most parents don't want to pay for a stylish to "ruin" their child's hair.
it may seem like scene girls would all have the same hair, but it's amazing how different they can all look. people who say they're conformists are mostly just jealous. ;D
soooo.......what next? I'm actually really sleepy right now, so here's a list of scene kid trends/characteristics for girls:
-heavy eye makeup, either black or neon
-thick headbands (skinny ones look retarded)
-SMALL hairbows (big ones, again, look retarded)
-ice cream cones
-candy (pony bead bracelets, often traded between scenesters & their friends)
-using && instead of &
-using words like orgasmic and the sex to describe myspace pics/people
-saying bai instead of bye
-being bi, which isn't really a trend, it just happens to be prevalent amoung scenesters
-calling scene people scene kids, no matter what age or gender
-whore trains on myspace bulletins
-pretending to be gangster as a joke
-taking medication for various mental disorders like depression, social anxiety, etc (again, it's not really a trend, it's just more prevalent because in scene society it's okay to not be perfect)
-taking an excess of medication
the best thing about scene is that you're fine however you are. scene kids will find something right with you when the cheerleaders and the preppies and the norms and even the dorks turn you away. and, of course, they have the most fun of any social group. because, really, what's more fun that going to local shows every weekend and getting so wasted you don't even remember what band you saw?
that girl is so scene!
d0n't bec0me scene...y0u lose respect and l0se friends. my exfriend n0w thinks shes scene....and shes l0st it.
(everyone believes them)
scene- damn i just got dumped. time to cut my hair again. sidebangs this time and straight. maybe ill wear pants that are size 3 and im a size 7 and maybe a shirt tht is too tight for me and maybe ill make a myspace and whore myself too hundreds off people i wont even talk too
Zach: Im scene
Chris: Your gay... now get on your knees!